Tuesday, July 04, 2006

Backpacking in California - June 2006, Part 4

(continued from "Backpacking in California - June 2006, Part 3")

We completed our backpacking portion of the trip. This is the view where our trail returned to the Valley area. We didn't come out here because we backtracked. But this would have been awesome to descend upon through the various ecotones. I'm bummed that we missed this part. But at least we got to see the view (from the car!). This is from a pull-out parking area...so Yosemite visitors don't have to trek into the wilderness to get views like this...they just drive up to the views...kinda like a McDonalds drive-thru. At least it's accessible to all; which garners support for our National Park system.

We spent our last night in Yosemite at the Backpacker's Campground by the Merced River.


It's free and available on a first-come, first-serve basis for backpackers to spend the night before or the night directly after a backpacking trip into the wilderness.


Scott enjoying a cup of gourmet camp coffee. I think he looked like a...from Star Wars.

We packed up our gear and loaded the car. Made a stop by the Village in order to visit the museum. Scott got to talking to the docent about the photography exhibit. As we left, nausea came over me. I didn't think I could handle the restrooms so I walked over to a secluded, wooded spot and l found a Sequoia to lay under. Mosquitos were swarming all around me but didn't bite me...however, they were punishing Scott and driving him mad. I tried to stay still to see if the nausea would subside. Other than feeling like crap, it was peaceful. Finally I started feeling good enough to get in the car. We went to check out Lower Yosemite Falls. I spent another 30 minutes laying in the car. As I began to feel better, I did some birdwatching from the car. Very goofy, I know. The birds made me feel better! I saw my first Acorn Woodpecker.

We slowly sauntered down the trail to the Lower Falls. Finally a chance to see close-up what we were viewing from above on the Pohono Trail. It was beautiful. There was a plaque with a quote by John Muir, "As long as I live, I'll hear waterfalls and birds and winds sing. I'll interpret the rocks, learn the language of flood, storm, and the avalanche. I'll acquaint myself with the glaciers and wild gardens, and get as near the heart of the world as I can."

"Brought into right relationships with the wilderness, man would see that his appropriation of Earth's resources beyond his personal needs would only bring imbalance and begat ultimate loss and poverty by all." We should consider John Muir's comments everyday...


(continued on "Backpacking in California - June 2006, Part 5")

1 Comments:

At 4:06 AM, Blogger Phinebacker said...

Hi Michelle
your "backpacking in california" log is simply great.
I have plan to visit Yosemite during my future trip in California. I will stay only one full day in Yosemite, so i will never see this marvelous views you have shoot.
So thanks to share your experimentation in the deep Yosemite.
José

 

Post a Comment

<< Home